Investing in a survival kit is essential if you want to guarantee the safety of your family. A life-threatening crisis can take place any minute, depriving you off modern-day luxuries that we often take for granted.
Power fluctuations and break down can halt water treatment plants, leaving you without clean drinking water. It is especially important to prepare yourself for emergencies if you’re headed on a camping trip or are headed to the great outdoors.
You have to invest in a survival kit that is perfect for your needs and requirements. To help you make the right decision, we have a compiled this detailed buyer's guide.
Best Survival Kit
Best Survival Food Kit
Best Survival First Aid Kit
Reasons To Purchase A Survival Kit
Before we dive into the details, it is essential you learn why you should invest a survival kit. Here are some important reasons:
- Stay Organized: Tackling an emergency situation becomes easier when you have everything you need at hand. Investing in a survival kit ensures you don't have to fumble around your backpack for first-aid items or check all your pockets for a lighter. A survival kit ensures all emergency and essential items packed securely inside a box or container, which will help you keep calm during a distressing situation and will allow you to take action immediately.
- Stay Prepared: Accidents can happen when you least expect them. Packing a survival kit in your car or your home can save your life in an emergency situation. Carrying a fire-starter or water purification tablets may seem silly until you're stranded on your own in the woods without water.
- Customized for Specific Activities: Depending on your destination, you can purchase survival kits that the brand manufactures for different activities such as hiking, camping and much more. You can also invest in vehicle survival kits or something you can keep in your drawer at work.
- Convenience: Sure, some folks like to pack their survival kit because it's much cheaper. However, this method might not be suitable for everybody. By investing in a commercial survival kit, you put all your trust in the experts and the manufacturers, which means you don't have to worry about making a list of essential items and shopping for each item separately. Investing in a survival kit will also eliminate the stress and anxiety of packing a customized kit for yourself, allowing you to focus more on your trip.
- Safety: Some people are genuinely careless when it comes to taking care of themselves, but that doesn't stop them from going on all sorts of adventures. If you're one of those people or have a friend who loves to travel, we suggest you invest in a handy survival kit. These kits are designed to contain everything you will need in case of an emergency. Plus, it also makes a great gift for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Expert’s Advice: Investing in an FDA and CE survival and first aid kit ensures each item has undergone inspection to maintain quality. Some kits also include a detailed guide on how to use the kit effectively, ensuring you stay safe throughout your trip.
Factors To Consider While Purchasing A Survival Kit
To ensure you reap maximum benefits from your survival kit, here are a couple of factors you should consider before finally purchasing a product:
Size And Weight Of The Kit
The size and the weight of the kit will determine how convenient it is to carry, especially if you're a backpacker or headed on a camping trip. Opt for a kit that is portable yet functional. Don't fall for low-quality kits that don't offer enough features.
Some brands offer compact survival kits that contain all kinds of necessary items such as a para cord, knife blade, fishing hook, sewing kit and much more. While large or bulky kit may include more items, it will be difficult to carry around.
If you're going on a camping trip, then you should opt for a survival kit that is suitable for camping or the wilderness. Similarly, you will find kits designed according to all kinds of activities including fishing, backpacking, and hiking.
This feature will guarantee you have everything you need for your trip. You can also invest in an emergency car survival kit that you can store in your vehicle or a drawer at work.
What's the point of purchasing a commercial-grade survival kit if it does not include all the items you will need for your adventure? Here is a list of basic items every survival kit must include:
- Water purification tablets, portable filtration system or water bottle. If you run out of drinking supplies, boil water.
- Matchsticks (store inside a Ziploc bag), fire starter
- Compass, GPS
- Hand crank chargers for powering up cell phones, flashlight, radios
- Canned items or nutritious food bars
- Warm blank
- Knife blade, utensils, multi-tool with a pry bar, fire starter and other tools
- Basic first aid-kit items including painkillers and alcohol swabs
- Sanitizers, wipes, toilet paper, liquid soap
- Allergy medication or respiratory masks in case you are allergic to dust
Will you be traveling alone or will you be accompanied by your kid or a bunch of students? Some survival kits are only designed for a single person whereas other kits contain enough supplies for large groups.
These kits are ideal for folks who would like to carry extra supplies and have plenty of space to accommodate more stuff. However, if you're a backpacker or hiking alone, we suggest you invest in a compact survival kit that is only suitable for one person, which will ensure your supplies don't weigh you down.
Duration Of Emergency Situation
Before making a purchase, it is essential you pay attention to how long the supplies in your survival kit will last. It is particularly important if your kit includes food items. Lack of food and water can lead you starving and dehydrated. Ensure the survival kit includes enough food and water for you to get by in case there is a shortage.
During a flood or extreme weather condition, you wouldn’t want to waste time worrying about food spoilage or if the fire starter is still in good shape. Before investing in a survival kit, don’t forget to check out the manufacturer’s date.
Supplies such as medical equipment and water tablets also come with an expiration or best-before date. While the shelf life for most kits is long, it's still a good idea for you to check the dates.
Kind Of Weather You’ll Endure During Your Trip
If you are heading to a damp or marshy location, it is imperative you ensure the survival kit is waterproof or water-resistant. This particularly important if your destination is likely to experience rainfall or any other kind of water-exposure.
If you're not sure about the weather, we suggest you carry the kit in a waterproof plastic covering. For added protection, store tablets and sensitive items in separate Ziploc bags to protect it against water-resistance.
Consider Customizing The Kit According To Your Needs
Don't forget to add items in the kit to make your journey more comfortable, which is especially important if small kids will be accompanying you on the journey. Pack small toys that might soothe your little one if they're distressed. For adults, pack small items such as chewing gum, sun glasses, travel-sized toothbrush, and toothpaste to make your journey more comfortable.
Needs Vs. Wants
When an emergency strikes, you'll no longer care about how pretty your survival kit appears. Heck, you'd probably be too worried to look at yourself in the mirror. Survival is all about toughening up which is why you need to avoid packing items simply for the sake or entertainment or out of habit.
Focus on saving space and keeping the weight to a minimum. Consider keeping a list so that you stick to the bare necessities.
Best Survival Kit
Winner - HSYTEK Survival Gear Kit
A quality survival gear kit ensures you remain prepared in the great outdoors or an emergency survival situation. The HSYTEK Survival Gear Kit has everything you will need in the face of crisis. What’s best is that you can upgrade to a better, more professional gear to get even more benefits.
It includes practical tools and safety items, so you don't have to worry about emergency situations. Some notable features of the HSYTEK Survival Gear Kit include:
- Affordable: The 11- in 1 kit comes at an incredibly reasonable price. All the tools are constructed to offer the best results, without resulting in too much extra weight. The tools are multi-function, but you can also use a single feature at a time.
- High-Quality Construction: Folks will be pleased to know that the military knife is constructed using high-quality cold steel. The black aluminum handle is highly durable and is made using anti-rust materials. The purchase includes a user guide and a waterproof proof protective case for convenient storage.
- Includes Waterproof Protective Case: The waterproof protective case results in easy carry. The protective casing ensures the survival kit does not get damaged in water or when traveling to damp and marshy areas.
- Makes an Excellent Gift: To you have a friend who loves traveling or enjoys collecting survival gear, the HSYTEK Survival Gear Kit is sure to be an excellent gift. The gift is also great for enhancing a child’s survival skills. You can use the kit for survival, camping, hiking and other kinds of emergency situations.
- Easy Upgrade: If you’d rather invest in something more hardcore, rest assured, you can upgrade the survival kit to a more professional kit. Users can upgrade to a new whistle to benefit from louder voice.
- Money-Back Guarantee: The HSYTEK Survival Gear Kit offers 100% customer satisfaction. If you have an issue with the product, you can have it replaced or returned. It comes with a whopping 12 months guarantee.
Runner Up - Boshiho Emergency Survival Kit
When it comes to designing the best survival gear, Boshiho is certainly a name you can trust. The ingenious Boshiho Emergency Survival Kit features a unique briefcase design that is practical for folks who spend plenty of time outdoors.
The briefcase includes plenty of useful tools that you will benefit from while camping, hiking or simply exploring outdoors. For added protection and safety, you can also store the briefcase in your car. This feature will protect you against unforeseeable circumstances.
Each tool is designed to offer superior results. You will be surprised to learn how inexpensive yet high quality the products are. Each tool is constructed to offer the best results. Some notable features of the product include:
- Quality Multi-function: The survival kit includes a portable multi-function tool case that contains practically everything you will need when you’re on the go. It includes a flashlight, compass, whistle, portable mini light, flint stone, tungsten steel pen, portable mini light and a cold steel knife.
- Compact Size: Unlike other briefcase models, the Boshiho Emergency Survival Kit is relatively smaller in size which means you can conveniently place it inside your drawer, car or anywhere else for emergency use.
- Practical: Use the brief cause for all kinds of outdoor adventures including climbing, survival, and travel, which makes the survival kit perfect for emergency survival situations that you should be ready to handle.
- Great Gift for Friends and Family Members: The survival kit makes a great gift for friends and family members who are outdoor enthusiasts.
Alternative - Worspoday Emergency Survival Kit 10 in 1
The Worspoday Emergency Survival Kit contains practically everything you'll need while you're out on an extreme adventure. The survival kit includes a flint fire starter, flashlight, tactical pen, emergency blanket and lots more.
Survival enthusiasts are especially bound to like the cool paracord bracelet along with the emergency whistle. Some notable features of the Worspoday Emergency Survival Kit 10 in 1 include:
- Tactical Knife for Survival, Camping, and Wilderness: The well-constructed survival knife features a speed safe assisted opening. It also includes a liner lock so you can fold up the knife without worrying about emergencies. It offers excellent grip so that you use the knife at various angles for a variety of purposes. These tasks include making shelter, breaking through things and cutting up wood for tinder.
- Emergency Thermal Opening: Experts recommend thermal blanket, including world-renowned explorers and special ops veterans. These blankets are designed to protect users against hypothermia by retaining 90% of body heat. You can use the reflective materials for signaling folks or for creating an extra layer when it’s freezing outside.
- Paracord Compass: Thanks to the paracord compass, users will be able to navigate their way through terrains and trails. The military-grade para cord includes a built-in whistle and fire-starter for convenient carry. It also has an adjustable strap which means it fits all kinds of wrist sizes. In case of an emergency, simply unravel the cord and use it as a sturdy cordage or rope.
- Durable and Lightweight Carry Case: The durable and lightweight carry case makes it easy for folks to transport the survival kit wherever they go. Not to mention, the box weighs less than a pound and is also waterproof. You can easily fit the compact case inside your backpack, vehicle or in a drawer inside your room without worrying about the box taking up much room.
Best Survival Food Kit
Wise Food 5-Day Survival Backpack
Crisis can hit any moment, causing your and family to escape home and run for cover. A natural disaster such as a flood or hurricane can cause road blockage and shortage in food supplies. To ensure you and your family don't go starving, it is essential you invest in a survival food kit.
Many manufacturers offer pre-prepared survival food kits that can last months without spoilage. Sure, you can always stock up on canned foods, but that might not be a practical option as the cans weigh a ton. Not to mention, eating the same kind of food every day can result in food fatigue. That's why you should invest in survival food kits.
The 5-day Survival Backpack contains everything you will need to keep yourself from starving for five days. Aside from food items, it also contains waterproof matches, playing cards, pocket tissues and other handy items that you wouldn't want to miss. Some notable features of this survival kit include:
- 32 Servings of Gourmet Meals: The Wise Food 5-Day Survival Backpack contains 32 servings of gourmet meals including creamy pasta, beans, vege rotini, apple cinnamon cereal, whey milk, hearty tortilla, and brown sugar.
- 5 Water Pouches: The survival backpack includes five pouches to keep you hydrated, so you don't run out of water.
- Additional Accessories: The kit includes other accessories that are bound to come in handy in a survival situation. These include a dust mask, stainless steel cup, tissues and waterproof matches.
- Portable Stove with Fuel Tablets: The survival food includes a portable stove with fuel tablets so that you can set up a fire and start cooking anywhere you want. To prevent wastage, some buyers have suggested you cut the tablets in half for each session.
Best Survival First Aid Kit - Patch-Up First Aid Kit
Nothing matters more than the safety of you and your family. This reason is why you should always have an emergency first aid kit at your disposal. The Patch-Up First Aid Kit is a heavy-duty nylon bag that is incredibly compact and water-resistant.
This feature ensures you can carry the first aid kit in your backpack without any problems or inconveniences. Aside from preparing for emergency situations, you can also keep the bag for sporting activities such as boating, biking, soccer, and basketball. Some notable features of the bag include:
- FDA and CE Approved: Customers will be pleased to know that the survival kit is FDA and CE approved. All items are hospital grade and latex-free, which makes the emergency kit an excellent option for emergency preparedness and inclement weather conditions. The kit is recommended for kids, families, infants – primarily people of all ages.
- Essential Items for Wound Treatment and Trauma Preparedness: The bag contains important items for trauma preparedness and wound treatment. It includes items such as tweezers, scissors, tape, medical face masks, resuscitation mask, space blanker, and other essential items. Kids will be pleased to see the cartoon-friendly bandages.
- Versatility: The emergency first aid kit is incredibly versatile can is perfect for hikers, backpackers, and adventure enthusiasts.
- Well-Organized: There will be no fumbling for items since the bag includes compartments while being lightweight. Additionally, the see-through pockets make it easier for users to identify the contents of the bag. To learn more about what items are inside the bag, the manufacturers have provided a detailed checklist of items.
- Warranty and Guaranteed Satisfaction: The Patch-Up First Aid Kit comes with a full money-back guarantee. It also includes a comprehensive guide so that folks can learn how to use the first-aid kit carefully to treat injuries and accidents. The first-aid kit is also likely to be a great kit for travel enthusiasts and adventure-crazy folks.
For more information about these products, consider checking out their customer reviews online. These survival kits have received the best ratings on Amazon, so they are definitely worth the purchase.
With a large number of manufacturers selling commercial survival kits, purchasing the right one can be a challenging task. We hope this detailed guide has provided you all the information you need to buy the right product. Good luck!